Thursday, June 14, 2012

5K...check!

I finished the 5K! Whew! I had a few snafus, but pushed through and had a great run.
Here's the low down:
Snafu #1: My family was supposed to see me off and was late!
I was expecting this big group consisting of my sweet hubby, my 5 kids, my mom visiting from AZ, and my step brother sending me off with cheers and encouragement, snapping pictures and in general celebrating my awesomeness for taking on this challenge. What actually happened was I ended up leaving by myself for the race since no one was ready to go yet, then starting alone and my husband drove into a parking lot about 1/4 of a mile along the trail and snapping some pictures. Eh, not too big of a deal,  the end is the exciting part, right?
Snafu #2: Pandora would not work on my phone. "What?" you say..."Problems with Pandora? That's crazy!" Oh wait, it's not crazy and it happens to me all the time. I guess I should be a little diplomatic, it could have been my phone. Either way, NO music! Ouch.
Snafu #3: My family was not at the finish! That was kind of a let down, but I was so excited to finish it didn't bother me. I ran faster than I thought and so they thought they had about 5 more minute to wrestle kids into car seats and what not, but me being the speed demon that I am, they missed it. No sweat, we reenacted the finish for a pic and had our oranges and yogurt.
Now for the great part: the run! I felt at a good pace pretty much the whole time and not having music didn't cripple me as much as I thought it would. The race started at a little park, then went down a very steep long ramp into a beautiful canyon, then turned around to come back up the evil ramp and finish where we began. I walked for a minute down in the canyon and for sure up that crazy ramp. But I finished strong and my time was 40 minutes and 19 seconds, 67th place. Yay! The scenery was gorgeous, following a lazy river and it was overall a great experience. I have taken a little running break to do a step class, but I am excited to get back to running and improving my time!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Running is addicting isn't it? I don't think I ever told u that you were instrumental in my path to running. I remember reading about your first 5k and thinking I wanted to try it someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's run together this Summer! I want to get back into it and have decided that everything will make me hurt at some point. Being in shape will help with pain. I will 5K with you next June! :)

    ReplyDelete