Monday, May 21, 2012

Venting (or whining...)

My runs have been getting way harder lately and it's getting difficult to not be discouraged. I am running outside exclusively and it is so SO different from treadmill running. Why did this not occur to me before? Duh! But I have not given up and I am still planning on my June 2nd 5K. I think sometimes we all just get into a self sabotaging frame of mind and set ourselves up to fail. At least I do! Here's a good example.
Today I put my run off till lunch time on THE hottest day of the year so far! It was 90 degrees today in lovely southern Idaho, and instead of taking my camelback like a smart person, I ate a Yakisoba (aka 25 lbs of salt shoved into one bowl of noodles) for BREAKFAST and decided 30 minutes wasn't that long and I didn't need water. Hello! Salt...heat...thirst...this is not rocket science.
I started of pretty well, even on the inclines, then my mouth became a dry, pasty pit of thirst and I really felt how hot it was getting. I still was plowing through until I started getting dizzy and since I was running in a rural area on the side of the road with no sidewalk, I decided passing out on the road was a bad idea. So I kept walking, then running again, repeat for the last 10 minutes.
Lesson learned: you can't have a good run unless you prepare for a good run.
Here are the things I need to do to have a good run:
1. Go to sleep at a decent time
2. Eat for fuel, THINK about what I am eating and how it will effect my workout
3. Plan for the temp! If it's going to be hot go in the AM
4. Water, when in doubt bring some
There you have it.   
As an update to my sugar challenge, I feel like some sort of traitor but I am not noticing a huge difference! We'll see if that changes...

No comments:

Post a Comment