Wednesday, May 16, 2012

To sugar or not to sugar, that is the question

Running is, of course, only one side of my trying to be healthy and lose weight. Eating, in my case, has a much bigger effect on my body than exercise. I have gained weight in the past while going to the gym every day just because I haven't kept track of my eating. Currently I am rocking my c25k thang, but my eating...not so much. I go to weight watchers and am a semi good tracker, but I need a little kick in the tush. So when a friend of mine asked if I wanted to join in a 10 days with no sugar challenge I readily said, "Count me in!"
Then later that day I went to the store and bought chocolate chips.
Oops.
I will save them for after the challenge.
Buying them kind of made me realize how much sugar is a part of my daily life. I don't even think about it. Not so healthy. So I look forward to avoiding it and gaining a little self awareness. 
I was also thinking about how this might effect my running. I have heard that sugar is a big cause of muscle and joint pain so I plan on paying very close attention to how I feel these next 10 days and maybe making this permanent. Well...not permanent because I'm not crazy like that, but maybe really limit the sweet stuff.
In other news, I am on week 8 of my training and am running 28 minutes with 5 minutes of walking before and after. It is going great! I am still going to the gym and doing it on the treadmill, mostly out of habit. I think I will try for a few outside runs over the next 2 weeks so I can get ready for a real live 5k. I even found one in my area to do on June 2nd. Wahoo!! I am really looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment